GAH - INDA: Discussion of Picasso's 'Les Demoiselles d'Avignon'

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

response

Post  Wish Vitayathanagorn on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:08 pm

It is no doubt that Picasso is one of the best artists of the 20th century. He is the major influence in the Cubism movement. One of his renowned paintings is the “Les Demoiselles d'Avignon”. The painting is considered to be the most important work of the 20th century. Picasso putted a lot of effort in this painting, as for this painting, it taken according to the text “'began to fill one sketchbook after another with preparatory drawings for his own large masterpiece' and 'made between 400 and 500 studies for the Demoiselles”(pg.65) to come up with Demoiselles. The radical synthesis of a variety of earlier artist styles that had never considered to be related, its simplified form, and the composition of space is unique back then. All of the features combine and the makes “Les Demoiselles d'Avignon” one of the renowned painting by Picasso.

Wish Vitayathanagorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Les Demoiselles d’Avignon- Pablo Picasso

Post  Grape Nalintragoon on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:19 pm

I do agree with others post above and the author said that the painting “Les Demoiselles d’Avignon” leads to a movement of art ‘Cubism’. Les Demoiselles d' Avignon is one of the famous paintings of Picasso in 1907 and has become the classic piece that launched cubism on 20th century art. It is clearly the most important painting of the 20th Century. (P.64) The painting of the five women of Barcelona was created in a really artistic way. The painting depicts a still form of five women by using cubism that shows how the disjointed features of the women complemented each other. The women on the left and right side was covered with mask-like expressions on their faces but the women in the middle was artistically painted as her front and back part is shown smoothly, not to disrupting the impression which creates on people. Pablo Picasso has really worked well with the colors also as the influence of fauvism movement like Henri Matisse in the contemporary era (as maintained his name on P.65: The Most Important Works of Art of the Twentieth Century) He used the colors to make a strong appeal while enhancing some elements that give a meaning to the painting. This painting may seem like an ordinary portrait of human in the nude however he has combined a different style and unique technique from various artists and provided different interpretations to the viewers to explore it more on the flesh of these women since Picasso’s paintings have various angles of interpretation. Many of his works used cubism to create on the 20th century art.

Galenson, David.W. Conceptual Revolutions in Twentieth-Century Art. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2009. 64-65. Print.

Grape Nalintragoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Response Picasso's 'Les Demoiselles d'Avignon'

Post  Kritchanat on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:22 pm

It is agreeable that Picasso’s masterpiece “Les Demoiselles d'Avignon” one of the best painting of the 20th century, and starting the movement of Cubism. It rejected the “linear perspective, which had dominated Western art since the Renaissance, and anticipated the new representation of space and construction of form” (p.65). The effort Picasso put in to “Les Demoiselles d'Avignon” after he was struck by the success of Henri Matisse was admirable as said in page 65 “Picasso made between 400 and 500 studies for the Demoiselles – ‘a quantity of preparatory work unique not only in Picasso’s career, but without parallel, for a single picture, in the entire history of art.” This show the dedication Picasso put into his work and as the result it became a successful painting.

Reference:
Galenson, D.W. (2009). Conceptual Revolutions in Twentieth-Century Art. New York: Cambridge University Press.

Kritchanat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Response

Post  Guntana on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:24 pm

It has been said that Picasso is one of the greatest artists ever. I admit that he is one of my favorite persons who gave me an inspiration, but it doesn’t mean that I have to love all of his works.
The book states that “Les Demoiselles d’ Avignon is clearly the most important painting of the twentieth century.” (p.64) However, it doesn’t look so beautiful to me. In fact, I would say that I like his other works, foe example, Portrait of Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler, much more than the masterpiece.
But, in my opinion, what makes the painting so special is not its appearance; it is its history, how it was painted. According to the article, “William Rubin concluded that in all Picasso made between 400 and 500 studies for the Demoiselles – ‘a quantity of preparatory work unique not only in Picasso’s career, but without parallel for a single picture, in the entire history of art,’” (p.65) we can see that he had to put a lot of effort to draw this painting by doing many research. Moreover, Les Demoiselles d’ Avignon has been stated as the beginning of the development of Cubism.
Therefore, as for me, the painting itself may not look nice as others. But it tells story, and I am impressed by that fact.

Gelenson, David. W. Conceptual Revolutions in Twentieth-Century Art. NY: Cambridge University Press, 2009.

Guntana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

DEMOISELLES D’AVIGNON- PABLO PICASSO

Post  Praj on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:38 pm

Demoiselles was intended to be a master pieces as Picasso putted so much effort into this painting. “Picasso made between 400 and 500 studies for the Demoiselles” (p.65) and “a quantity of preparatory work unique not only in Picasso’s career, but without parallel, for a single picture, in the entire history of art.” (p.65) are both quote that represent the effort Picasso put into this painting. It represented the Cubism movement as “linear perspective, which had dominated Western art since the Renaissance, and anticipated the new representation of space and construction of form” (p.65). As for the simplify form, distorted features, and the primitive art forms Picasso use, made this painting one of the best renowned painting in the twentieth century.

Praj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pathawee's Response

Post  Pathawee on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:38 pm

Pablo Picasso is one of the most successful and greatest artist, not only in the past but until the present days. Picasso's talent created lots of incredible and amazing paintings, for instance, Les Demoiselles d’Avignon. It is Picasso's masterpiece in twentieth century, this particular painting introduces Cubism to the world of art. Which he painted five nude women using and combining his remarkable unique techniques to make it looks very abstract.

The phrase "In all Picasso made between 400 and 500 studies for the Demoiselles" ( Galenson, pg.65 ) tells me that Picasso did so much research before making this masterpiece. I do not wonder why this painting of his is famous and so important in the twentieth century, because he use his talent plus his diligence very effectively. It is truly amazing that only one painting, Les Demoiselles d’Avignon, can created new style of painting to this world.

Pathawee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

response

Post  manussanan subvara on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:52 pm

Pablo Picasso is one of my favorite artist and he also be one of the most popular artist in 20th century. He create a renowned work called "Les Demoiselles d’Avignon" which created a way to blend various style and technique of painting together and it also influence a movement called Cubism which before that time Cubism is not clearly defined.
"Les Demoiselles d’Avignon" is 'the most important painting of the 20th century' (Galenson,2009,pg.64).
Pablo Picasso paint a picture by using inspiration from many style of each artist including his style and his work become his own style that is unique.
"As Cubism became the most influential development in the
visual arts of the twentieth century, the Demoiselles stood out more and
more clearly as the century’s greatest masterpiece." (Galenson,2009,pg.65).

Galenson, D.W. Conceptual Revolutions in Twentieth-Century Art. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2009

manussanan subvara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Les Demoiselles d'Avignon Respond

Post  Thanwarat on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:53 pm

According form the passage, 'Les Demoiselles d'Avignon is a turning point of art. Pablo Picasso used several technique to create this masterpiece. The preparation was so stunning ,because in order to create this paint he has made over 500 of drawing to studies before start painting.He put huge afford in order to complete the paint. Demoiselles is considered to be the most important painting of twentieth century, by painting more than 60 square meters which Picasso has never paint something this large before

the painting compose with formal innovation, the painting contain five nude women which characteristic the style and skill. Each of which have unique composition. the viewer might not understand the uniqueness of the paint but this masterpiece has inspired many artist and become a model of branches style. Later the stylist use Picasso's work as a role model and so many style were created. I agree with all of respond that said Picasso is the greatest artist, he created his own style and paint an individual art work that less people can do it, with his potential he's capable to show us an extreme masterpiece that will be memorable for all time.

Galenson, D.W. Conceptual Revolutions in Twentieth-Century Art. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2009. Print.

Thanwarat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Napat Response

Post  Napat Neampinij on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:31 am

Pablo Piccasso is on of the greatest artist of all time. As I can see from many people post I do agree with that he is. We can see from many of the painting that he did especially with “Cubism” which makes him became well known around the world. Piccasso has define the term of “Cubism” during the 20 century in one of his most greatest painting called "Les Demoiselles d’Avignon". Referring to the text "In all Picasso made between 400 and 500 studies for the Demoiselles" ( Galenson, pg.65 ) before his master piece prove that he have done many experiment and study on many things before achieving his master piece which are well know now adays it shows and collect up many different style and inspiration, which Piccasso has show it throught out his painting.

Galenson, David.W. Conceptual Revolutions in Twentieth-Century Art. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2009.

Napat Neampinij

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Les Demoiselles d’Avignon Respond

Post  Pawika on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:47 am

Les Demoiselles d’Avignon by Pablo Picasso ,Les Demoiselles d’Avignon is the most important painting in twentieth century. The painting has reach to a climax of that time. the famous Picasso has adapted and released techniques that are well uses till the present time. According to the passage ,Picasso has put huge of effort and determination to complete the painting. In order to creat this masterpiece he spent time to made over than 400 of drawing to studies. Moreover, the painting is 60 square meters which is the largest art work that Picasso ever attempted.

Many stylist said that 'Les Demoiselles d’Avignon is a revolutionary, I agree with these kind statement. According to what i said earlier "this painting has reach to a climax of that time". He's a person who adapted ,developed and created new kind of styles and techniques. The painting contain five nude women which characteristic ,Each of which have it own uniqueness. He has combined several kind of techniques and put into one single picture. It's not easy to create this massive size of work but Picasso break free from the boundaries, with his potential he capable to show his capacity. I'm looking forward to see someone's masterpiece that is fascinate as Picasso's work.

Galenson, D.W. Conceptual Revolutions in Twentieth-Century Art. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2009. 64-65. Print

Pawika

View user profile

Back to top Go down

LES DEMOISELLES D'AVIGNON RESPOND

Post  Thida J. on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:49 am

There is no doubt that Les Demoiselles d' Avignon was the most important painting in 20th century"Les Demoiselles d’Avignon is clearly the most important painting of the twentieth century."(p.64) because it is Picasso's greatest masterpiece and is the reason of the beginning of Cubism movement, which cubism has influence in 20th century "As Cubism became the most influential development in the
visual arts of the twentieth century"(p.65).

This master piece is the biggest painting that Picasso had ever painted, it's more than 60 sq. ft in size. He researched a lot before doing this paint that he made impressible of 400 to 500 studies for the Demoiselles. I am impressed of his hard work, it is memorable progress and the painting is stunning. This painting is cleary interpret the new movement of art in the new era, "cubism". He created different style of painting compare to the previous historical artists “their composition in space were derived in part from Cezanne’s late paintings of bathers” and “The stylized and distorted features of the figures drew on Gauguin’s late work” (p. 65)

To me, I agree that The Demoiselles is the most important painting of the 20th century because of his uniqueness of painting that he made from many historical painting styles and mixed them together in this masterpiece. Which it took a lot of time to finish due to his studies preparation before painting it. He presented himself a great artist by his capable of learning the details of different historical artists painting styles and portrayed it through Les Demoiselles d'Avignon. This is an outstanding hard work and I like the fact that Picasso established new ideas of old art to modern art. One of the greatest artists is what he is born to be.

Galenson, D.W. Conceptual Revolutions in Twentieth-Century Art. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2009. Print.

Thida J.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pichaya

Post  Pichaya on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:27 am

According to the passage, the most important work of art is “Les Demoiselles d’Avignon” because this painting is the revolutionary of art when it was seen. As stated, “The Demoiselles presented a radical synthesis of variety of earlier artistic styles that had never previously been considered to be related. The poses of the five nude women, their simplified forms, and their composition on space were derived in part from Cezanne’s late paintings of bather. The stylized and distorted feature of the figure drew on Gauguin’s late work, …” this passages explains about how Picasso uses many artist techniques to improves his painting skills.
I am very impressed by how Picasso demonstrates his love for arts and his hard working ship. He made 400 to 500 studies in order to create this painting and established this movement. This painting was finished in seven years and this was the largest painting Picasso ever attempted. When this painting was released, a new movement started and this also inspired numbers of artist to think outside the box.

Pichaya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Les Demoiselles d'Avignon

Post  Panitnaat on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:30 am

I have to agree that Picasso is one of the most important artists in the 21th century and his "Les Demoiselles d'Avignon" "is clearly the most important painting of the twentieth century". Picasso's art quality might not be the best but the idea and the way he depict things in his painting are what make his paintings very important and popular.
It is very interesting that "Les Demoiselles d'Avignon" had gone through a lot of process and influences before it could become this masterpiece. From first glance, one might just think that it's a very abnormal painting of naked women whose anatomy are totally off and too different from the traditional style as if the painter has no knowledge about human anatomy at all ,however, after some studies of this painting and Picasso's history, Picasso actually knew anatomy (he studied 400 to 500 figures, which is totally a lot of figures for a single person to study) but he intended to make the figures distorted and look more geometric rather than traditional realistic.

I don't think that "without this painting, the world would have closed its doors from a vast field of possibilities and ideas" (Chayothron), there were several artists of the same period that were trying to create 'uncommon' paintings and lots of Picasso's paintings were already shown to people back then. But still, this masterpiece, "Les Demoiselles d'Avignon" is very important and can inspire lots of people.

I actually don’t really like Picasso’s style but I think that the way he depict things in his painting in a totally new way is very interesting. I used to hate his arts, but after studying the history, finding out that Picasso was very thoughtful about his paintings, I don’t hate his arts anymore.

Panitnaat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GAH - INDA: Discussion of Picasso's 'Les Demoiselles d'Avignon'

Post  Korapin on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:39 am

“Les Demoiselles d’Avignon is clearly the most important painting in twentieth century.I do agree with all of my friends. Picasso has created new style of art, and the Demoiselles demonstrate the modern of art. According to the passage Picasso has put a lot of effort for doing the Demoiselles, He studies by do over than 400 for his preparation. Moreover ,the painting is the largest artwork that Picasso has ever attempted, with 60 square feet and many shade of color. He also combined many style of art to complete this artwork. The painting contain five women which characteristic. Each women drew with different technique.
Picasso is the greatest artist ever ,there is no doubt about that. He willing to risk and combined different styles of art together. And, also the Demoiselles that hard to be done by individual artist. He show his potential and determination to create his masterpiece. I think he is like Michael Jordan in that time.

Galenson, David.W. Conceptual Revolutions in Twentieth-Century Art. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2009. 64-65. Print.

Korapin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chakkraphob on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:13 pm

When I first saw the painting "Les Demoiselles d’Avignon" by Picasso, I had no idea how important it was or the significance of the painting and the movement that it has sparked. Moreover, when this painting is claimed "the most important painting of the twentieth century", I had many doubts. However, as I found out and understood the history behind this painting and the rigorous process that Picasso had gone through in order to craft this painting, my impression towards Les Demoiselles d’Avignon has changed drastically.

The figures in Les Demoiselles d’Avignon are heavily distorted and at first glance gave the impression that it wasn't painted based on knowledge about the human body. However, Picasso made 400-500 studies in preparation for this painting alone. This means that he clearly understands the human body very well, but have chosen to present the figures in this particular way. I now agree that this painting is the most important painting of the century, as it has made way for a new field of art in the modern world. In my opinion, this painting is great not only because it is completely revolutionized, but also because it combines many of other great artist's techniques. For instance, "The stylized and distorted features of the figures drew on Gauguin’s late work". This shows that Picasso have not only invented his own style, but have also studied the techniques of other great artists and integrated them into his work.

Chakkraphob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paritat on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:22 am

Pablo Picasso became extremely famous on and after 20th centuries. The painting "Les Demoiselles d'Avignon" on oil canvas is actually one of the most artistic in the world. That painting means a lot to him and spread his reputation to the entire world. The combination of the his cubism style with other techniques made his painting become very unique and fascinating i term of idea. The nude girls is portrayed in a form of abstract but he still kept the essence of the girls and made it still can be understandable about what they are, that is what and how it impress people around the world. Personally, something that I like about Picasso is that sometimes his painting may look like a kid's painting but he could turned it to be something very special. The way he used colours and tones is marvelous, especially the "Picasso's blue portrait" in 1901-1904.

Galenson, David.W. Conceptual Revolutions in Twentieth-Century Art. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2009.

Paritat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Chanapa's response

Post  Chanapa on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:52 am

Les Demoiselles d’Avignon (1907,Pablo Picasso) got first place in the twentieth century art works ranking survey (table 3.2,P.64), this style of painting was first introduced in early twenties century and had high influential on style of the art works in that period. This painting is really unique; no one can make the same style as Picasso. He used geometric form to created most of the paining; women’s figure forms, women’s face and the background; this style is called CUBISM rejecting linear perspective. Although, there still some details that were not in geometric form like woman’s hair. He made about 400 to 500 studies before painted the painting that was surprising, especially in the size of the painting, which is more than 60 square feet, so it means that even the picture seems like he just drawn it but in fact he had put lots of effort and intended to make it in this way. It is really abstract painting that extremely differed from other paintings and was highly successful in development of art. Thus, Picasso Painting new style became an inspiration of many artists after that time.

Reference:

Chanapa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Phuripop's respond

Post  Phuripop Paisalsak on Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:19 pm

Picasso is well known for his cubism works. The most famous painting of him is Les Demoiselles d’Avignon. The paint portrays five nude prostitutes posting differently. The painting turns the new history of man kind and adds another chapter of modernism era. Picasso has been studies 400 to 500 sketch before painting it, and in this case a normal painter would be bother studying in it if they weren’t interest.

Picasso use another style in that time to show his purpose. Les Demoiselles d’Avignon has many criticisms about revolution the old classic art to new era such as how he use the white light in this painting , how he change the shape of human anatomy , how he paint their faces like the masks , how he use a disconnect space and set the composition of his work.

Phuripop Paisalsak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum