GlobalArtHistory
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Patorn Sangruchi: 543-479-5725

Go down

Patorn Sangruchi: 543-479-5725 Empty Patorn Sangruchi: 543-479-5725

Post  tae2536 Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:43 pm

Grids allows a contradiction between the values of science and those of spiritualism to maintain themselves within the unconscious, and so says the American art critic Rosalind Krauss. Really? What exactly lies in these lines and colours that prove it to be theosophically significant? Yes, I used the word theosophy as, at the very least, in my point of view, if grids are to be connected to the idea of a (or multiple, for that matter) higher power, they must be a tool belonging to that branch of philosophy. In theosophy, in contradictory to Krauss' argument that faith is suppressed under science, scientific and religious decipline are unified into a single universal view. I would better illustrate this with Piet Mondrian's opus: Composition II in Red, Blue and Yellow. This piece, similarly to his other works, is an attempt to find the base aesthetic that governs the visual- and perhaps, the spiritual world. Its precision and "definiteness", a resultant characteristic we are left with after we strip down all the exterior bit and pieces (much to the same way that when we cut elements to its smallest size possible we would be left with the quarks of that element, in it lies the same characteristic-definite and indivisible), completes the scientific part of this spatial representation. However, the composition as a whole serves as a visual balance which the artists belief the physical world to be composed off- an unscientific (because it is qualitative rather than quantitative) and spiritual point of view. The two parts is thus seen to a product of the artist's integration not suppression. One would not be able to imagine how a work with such perfection that might as well lead to an ecstasy under God's supposedly perfectness can be called a repression tool. And just a note to finish off, Piet Mondrian have no reason to hide faith underneath science- he a very strong believer in the theosophical doctrine, saying in his notebook " the patterns represent the struggle toward unity of cosmic dualities and the religious symmetry undergirding the material universe". This, therefore, supports my argument against Krauss proposal that, like psychoanalysis, grids is a mythical tool which allows faith to co-exist UNDER science.

tae2536

Back to top Go down

Patorn Sangruchi: 543-479-5725 Empty Sorry!!

Post  tae2536 Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:51 pm

Connelly: I posted this under wrong username and wrong place, so can you please delete this, and I'll send it again to the right place. Sorry! Razz Razz Razz

tae2536

Back to top Go down