Global Art History : Berger Response INDA

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Re: Global Art History : Berger Response INDA :afro:

Post  Kanin Sunthornsuk on Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:12 am

After reading both 1 and 2 chapter of "Way of seeing",I'm mostly agree with book and my firends' response.
In the begining of the book ,I'm totally agree with the author.The way we see thing can be affected by many things, ex. memory , habit, what we believe or have faint in or the feeling that each one can achieve by what they see.Everyone see the world differently. “Seeing comes before words.” (p.7).this quote can explain itself very well .Seeing is the best way to perceive the world.So,how can we share the way we see to the others.People paint to let others see ,Before the invention of Camera.Camera can capture a moment to express the way Photographer.I agree in page 18-19 when the author explain the different of the production of the photo and the painting.though the photo can let us see everything in precise detail that the camera can capture but it doesn't express the way photographer see or the feeling in that exact moment very well.In my opinion,I think painting can allow people to express what we feel more due to the duration , individual technique or creativity. Painting can be more allow to let other people to see and feel the way the painter want to communicate.“the way people look at the art works is affected by a whole series of learnt assumptions about art.” (p. 11).Even though how much we can communicate in painting precisely,People can still see it differently.I think that is its beauty.

Berger, J. Ways of seeing. London: British Broadcasting Corporation. 1972.

Kanin Sunthornsuk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

reading response Ways of Seeing chapter 1-2

Post  rudiampai on Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:38 am

“Seeing comes before words. The child looks and recognizes before it can speak."(p.7) I truly agree with this statement which is appeared in the Ways of Seeing book by John Berger.The nature of human is that we can see before we can speak and it is the fact that no one taught us to see but of course it has to be someone that taught us to speak.So it becomes that there is so many ways for human to sees and to recognizes things in the world,For example people look at the same thing at each other but can think and recognize that thing in the different ways,this is because people come from different background or different ages,and it not just the differences between human to human but we can see the differences by the same person for just because him or her have grown up and their ways of seeing have changes because they have been through so many things and have seen so many things also this can makes people change their ways of seeing in fact that they understand things in the world more.In somehow human can assume that they know the right thing by their ways of seeing but actually it is wrong it may because they are truly wrong or it may wrong because they think opposite to others.So the relation between what we see and what we know is never settled.For example, Each evening we see the sun set. We know that the earth is turning away from it. Yet the knowledge, the explanation, never quite fits the sight.So we can not believe everything that we have seen.

rudiampai

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ways of seeing

Post  Kritchanat on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:12 pm

I agree with this quote “The eye of the other combines with our own eye to make it fully credible that we are part of the visible world”( P.9 ) Because it is impossible that one person can see the whole purpose of an artwork or reality. One thing needs more than one perspective to be complete. Everyone has different ways of seeing things due to how they live, how they grow, their surrounded atmosphere, different believes and religion. All the perspective combines together to form a fully visible world. “This difference can be illustrated in terms of what was thought of as perspective”(p.16) this quote resemble the idea of the previous quote. An art have one form but the viewer have many perspective, therefore the viewers will have different ideas and understanding of the arts. Perspective is an important part of understanding in human nature.

Kritchanat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Patorn Sangruchi

Post  Patorn on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:55 am

I agree with Burgers’ statement regarding the fact that “seeing comes before words”. In our everyday lives, for example, when we look at posters, we look at the image first before reading the title (text). However, the perception of the image can be affected by the presence of words, such was that shown on page 28, when Burger illustrates how the text ‘This is the last picture that Van Gogh painted before he killed himself’.

What strikes me most in this article is Burgers’ explanation on how the development of photography changed how people view art. He proposed that the ubiquity of a projection of a painting means that people view art as being the “real-version-of-a-reproduced-copy” instead of a vessel filled with messages and meaning.
This is particularly true, having experienced it for myself when I was confronted by the painting “Raft of the Medusa” in Louvre. At the moment, the fact I am seeing a genuine version of what I have seen as reproduced copy in an art books makes it beautiful. Only later did I realized that the painting is full of stories and symbolic details.

Patorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum