INDA Art History Response #3

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Re: INDA Art History Response #3

Post  Chanapa on Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:59 pm

After I had watched the BBC’s documentary. I think the way people have used and saw photography has been changed over the time. It seems like, at the beginning, photography was created for a person who cannot draw well in three dimensions and want to have a picture that have all the details. Then it has been developed into more commercial. Photographer uses photography as a tool to earn money from others. Then it became an art little by little, by changing the way of photography such as technique, character, or the way of setting a person for shooting. But it was still not as art as painting like Chuck Close had said, “It’s the easiest medium in which to be competent, but it’s the hardest medium in which to have personal vision.” . However “There are no accidental masterpieces in painting, but there are accidental masterpieces in photography” said Chuck Close, I completely agree. When an artist was drawing something he/she must knows in the finest details what would be in his/her picture but a photographer took a picture he/she would normally know generally what would appear in his/her picture. So I think photography is also art, different from painting, new kind of arts.

“When the camera takes over for the eye”
I agreed with this passage. More or less, Camera takes over people eyes. I think people use camera as their second eyes, the eyes that can see the finest in details and would never disappeared, if you not delete the image that you took, you can return to watch it over and over. No matter how much time has pass, the picture that you took in those days still give you all details that you got at that moment. Because human’s brain cannot memorize all the details and can forgot easily. However, I think watching something straightly is better than watching through the lens, which could distort the real form of the thing. It is good if we use the way we see from the camera as a recognition tool of feeling at that moment.

Chanapa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

response

Post  Wish Vitayathanagorn on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:00 am

The document “Genius of Photography” comments about many techniques of photography. When photography first arrived, there is not much ways to express the form into art. One photographer that uses the special function of photography is Eadweard Muybridge. He did more than just freeze the moment and as Rebecca Solnit, writer has commented that “Camera allows human being to see more faster than our own eyes. To break the world into a dissect motion”. Muybridge wanted to know exactly if a horse lifted all four legs when running. He has use photography as his instrument to prove his hypothesis and it is indeed a very accurate instrument. Muybridge has taken photography into a next level. As Chuck Close have commented toward the end of the documentary that it is very difficult for a photographer to nail down a technique that it is theirs and that they “own a vision”. A photographer needs to have some sort of a trademark for everyone to recognized their particular styles of photography.

Roberta Smith have commented in NY Times article on camera’s usage of people. Ruth Fremson, a photographer of The NY Times has taken photos of people taking photos of an artwork. In this century, owning a camera and taking photos are easy, it is just a click of our hands. Fremson and her image showed us that photography has changed and how we look at art is different.

Last edited by Wish Vitayathanagorn on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Wish Vitayathanagorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

response # 3

Post  Sirada on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:00 am

“Light is my wisdom and my enemy” as Lamar, the photography, mention about, he point out how important the light of in photographing process. It can make the image become gorgeous or become disaster.

Because light and shadow play large role in photography, so that is why ‘fixing shadow’ is important. The good arrangement of shadow and light cause great photo to be made.

There are the rival methods of the pioneers Henry Fox Talbot and Louis Daguerre for fixing the shadows.

In 1834,Talbot mixed camera and chemistry together. Fixing shadow on a piece of paper coat with silver salt, he got thing that never be seen before, the strange mirror image or the negative image.

Contrast with Talbot, Daguerre created a positive image which he use his own way of fixing shadow on a mirror metal plate, and called it daguerreotype

Photography places alongside other new technologies like the railway and telegraph transform our understanding of the modern world.

I think George Eastman caused a revolution. His invention of the Kodak film camera caused an enormous change. He makes photography become easy and available or everyone to do it, not that complicate like former; so people interest in photograph and start to do it more.

According to the new york times article by Roberta Smith,"When the Camera Takes Over for the Eye". I do agree with her that people now choosing to see photograph before see the original one with their own eyes. For example, People may choose to stay home using Internet to see art painting rather than go to exhibition and see it by their own eyes. It’s much faster and easier to do that.

Nowadays, it is lot more easily to photography. We can photograph with our cell phone, camera, personal computer or may me some high technology devices and after that sharing those images on internet or some social networks and let other people to see it too. It’s like that camera become another eyes that help us to see, learn and understand things in the world more.

Sirada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Prechaya on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:01 am

I thought that I have problem with the file you sent, I will try to download it again (it has been my 4th times doing this..) So I managed to post a response for the article "When the Camera Takes Over for the Eye" by Roberta Smith first and the another response will be followed (by editing this post) later. Apologize for any inconvenience.

About the article that you encouraged us to write a response, I found it is quiet interesting at the way Ruth Fremson represented the pictures of people taking pictures of arts. It is not only show how technology of photography changes our way of memorization. In advantages, it makes things a lot easier and be able to share them with others people or connect the world. In the other hand, seeing an art behind the camera's lens is probably difference from feeling it with bare eyes, two hands (if possible), and the whole body -- or in another words, only a couple of pictures are not enough to present the aesthetic value of arts.

And the photo of Fremson also shows what is art objects meant to nowaday people. Are they just an evidence which proofs that you have been there or it is worth more than that?

Last edited by Prechaya on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:29 am; edited 2 times in total

Prechaya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

response 3

Post  rudiampai on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:07 am

"There are no accidental masterpieces in painting, but there are accidental masterpieces in photography” – Chuck Close.The accidental masterpieces is an vernacular photograph.Vernacular photography is any type that isn’t intended as art: keepsakes, advertising, forensic, documentation for records, passport photos, etc.So from all this statement I understand that the accidentally photograph can be seen as a masterpieces but for the painting it cant.In 1880 the Kodak camera appeared but people in that time wasn't pay much attention to it,Later on in 1890 photography become more accessible but most of people thought it was a fun thing to do,it is not art.This topic is an argument also,I think some people will said like photography is not an art because it come with an accident it is not from the person who took the picture(artist)but some may says The photography is an art which its art come from an accident.But for me i think photography is an art,The camera can produce art with little more participation from the photographer than a button push.Art for me is often come from accident.

rudiampai

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Korapin on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:10 am

After watching this documentary about photography. The invention of camera changed the world, not only the technological society but also the art community. Many artists disagree that photography is a form of art. “There are no masterpieces of photography”, said Chuck Close. I disagree with this quote, because I believe that every photograph that each photographer captured has intentions. The artists capture each photo because they want to portray or say something about their perspective of that particular moment, in which other people might not see. Like it was stated in the documentary that, “… it took a while for people to realize that photography creates surprises. It doesn’t describe the world as you expected.” “Photography doesn’t only change the world, it changes how people understood the world.”
To be honest, I don’t understand what the article, “When the camera takes over for the eye” trying to say. It seems to me that the author is being sarcastic about taking pictures in the gallery.

Korapin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Response #3

Post  Penpannin Nakages on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:14 am

Photography is a kind of art developing trough the time. Some people may not consider it as an art but deeply the photoghaph give us more than just a simple image. It gives us the aesthete of the moment and express all the feelings. It is undoubtedly why taking picture became part of everyday life. The camera can easily produce the image by just pressing a single button. The Image produced by the camera help us the memorize all the moment we wanted to remember , it is the tools the remind every detail of the past. From the ancient time camera gives massive benefit to the artists. The artist can create a better paintings but looking at the photograhp because it capture all the detail of light and the shadow which reflech with the object, it make the paings look more naturally than before. The photography kept all the details at the sudden momnt while the paintimgs can not. This little details can considerably express the genuine intention of the photographer. Unlike the paintings, One small mistake of a single brush stroke can distort real purpose of whole painting.

According to the video , the acident never going to happened with the masterpiece paintings , but for the master piece of photography the acident can always happened. Therefore, the painting is only for rich and talented people . On the other hand the photography is for everyone.

Penpannin Nakages

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Response to "The genius of photography"

Post  Pichaya on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:19 am

According to the documentary “Genius of photography” gave me a new understanding of photography. The invention of photography in the 1830’s changed the way people understood their world. The photography does not help only the people but also the artists to understand the actual image of what they were going to express in their paintings. Photography gives a new aspect of art that people do not usually see.
An image taken from a camera does not only show just an image but also contains a deeper message in it, similar to artists with their artwork. In artist work there is no accidental masterpiece but in photography there is, because any photograph is unique in its own way. Every image has a story in it that is showed by the photographer. And every photograph shows different aspect although the object, landscape is the same.
In my opinion the beauty of photography depends on the thoughts that the photographer gives into the moment that they try to capture.

Pichaya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Documentary Respond (Respond#3)

Post  Soravit Boonchit on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:19 am

A camera is a new invention of that time was not only just to capture a snapshot of a moment but to do what human beings does best and out compete each other. According in the BBC documentary “Genius Of Photography” that “The freezing time…this photography not only change the world but also the way people understood the world”. Its depends on how the people see and consider about the picture.

Its showing how people look at photography as a form of art were and how it was change differently in this documentary. In the past, people consider the photo as a form of art but when the first camera was made under the name of "Kodac" (1880), they view as an commercial instead. I do agree with the quote of Chuck Close that "There are no accidental masterpieces in painting, but there are accidental masterpieces in photography." nowadays, it is more easier to making a masterpiece, good quality of art without the experience on the other hand, as an art, they need it.

Now they are many devices for taking a photo such as iPhone, mobile-phone etc. which people can make a photography more easier but they are still have some of the masterpiece photography that we accidentally made it though

“The Genius of Photography.” The Genius of Photography Episode 1. BBC Four

Soravit Boonchit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paritat on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:22 am

From the video"The Genius Of Photography", camera was still the only way to communicate and the only one that can preserve images of objects through time and space though it was more complicated to take a photo in the past than present. I was surprised when I see the shoes' box-size camera. Overtime, the long film and Brownie camera was invented by Kodak and "that makes photography really developed". Old times black and white photos actually look beautiful. The ancient camera can shows more about how professional the photographer is, I think that is what photographer like about it. Taking photograph then become a kind of fine art when it can express meaning in that particular photo such as pictures of stop-motion of flying or jumping action, it's very stylish way of taking picture on that time or even nowadays. it would be great if modern photographers watch this video.

Paritat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The genius of photography

Post  Sethavudh on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:22 am

Genius of photography has shown the development of art. It review how difficult to take a picture in the past. By that time the technology wasn't good enough to capture clear images but somehow artist use that as benefits. These images can define in the way of art which normal people have other though of it.
According from the history, back to nineteenth century when people took picture by put silver in the dark box and put it in the camera to get ready. This technic still remain till today, same as painting or inventing. Apparently, photography is not quite popular yet because painting is more colorful and natural. Later photography become a part of great innovation. Engineering found that photography is very useful equipment. Moreover photography become more popular and individual. After the developing of camera, many option were add on. it can captured a color image and improved to use it easier. Artist capture the picture in many ways. it keep a wonderful moment in our life just by one shot. And some capture an actions as an art. People were fascinated for moment until the appear of digital camera.
The evolution of camera may not have an ending, The way i see is none ending evolution. In present time almost every technic of art were add in mobile phone, Just small hardware that contain all of the greatest artist life-time invention. But some people prefer old fashion of art something that still remain and have a story in it ,something that call history.

Sethavudh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Response

Post  Bunyapha on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:24 am

In my opinion, photography is one kind of art. It is interesting that photography has developed itself through time. From the video, The Genius of Photography, I agree with "photography always transfer what it's describe that is the art of photography to control that transformation". In the past, light and shadow are important factors in photography and it’s hard to make the perfect picture. Unlike this day that we use a camera in our everyday life by looking at a small screen in cellphone or mini-camera. so,it changed the look of photography. However, I like the traditional camera because it more fun to learn how to use it and to see through the lens.

Bunyapha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

BCC response 3

Post  Natthakit Kangsadansenano on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:37 am

Photograph is about put a specific scene in a frame, so it depend on photographer intentional and light. Light is important for that time camera. Main function of camera is freezing time in picture. Taking a photo is faster that portrait, so it is a technology that many people expect the result. Photograph is one part of painting evolution. For example, you never see any artist on earth paint a ballet dancer scratching her own back. Kodak made camera worldwide by sale it in a brownie camera. It cheap ,So many want to try it. Everything that we have to do with that brownie camera is press the button ,and sent it back to the company to take care the rest. Photograph is used in a lot of branch from landscape of city to criminal commitment.
Photo that we take may include a rubbish detail that we do not want it to appear on the photo. We can create a lot of fantastic pic by pressing a button on the camera. For example, take a picture on jumping people.

Last edited by Natthakit Kangsadansenano on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Natthakit Kangsadansenano

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jirapatr on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:52 am

Photography is an art, a kind of art. It's record the moment. Photography that took in a same place but different time can giving a different meaning. As I saw in an intro-part of the documentary, "Meudon" by Andre Kertesz in 1928, he took another photo before he took this one in the place that can give the perspective nearly to this picture, but there is no person to wondered what he carried, no train moved across the bridge. Then we can compare feeling, meaning between these 2 pictures.
Light is the most important thing for photography. It's a variable that can change the outcome as Abe said " Light is my wisdom, and my enemy" It's the really true fact during 1893 since the idea of an fixing the shadow until now, in the age that we have DSLR camera, light still be the most
important part of photographing.

Jirapatr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Response 3

Post  kotchamon on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:01 am

New ways of seeing started after the invention of the photographic processes. From the camera obscura which would be used to record images in early photographys to the invention of a revolution amateur camera called Kodak. You can see the development of photographic industry through the time from the article, The search for truth: Early photography,realism, and impressionism. According to the passage, ' Photographic theory can be taught in one hour, the basic technique in a day, but what cannot be taught is the feeling for light...'. Its depends on the experience of photograhers, uses of high art by combining the real, ideal and sacrificing nothing of truth by all possible devotion to beauty. Nowaday, people can create and get various photos easily by using the technology devices but they do not know exactly how to express the photography in the way of art. However, photography is a clever discovery that can snapshort our memorable memory in a few minutes, not only for amateurs but also serve painters as a preparatory drawings.

kotchamon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ajana on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:59 am

after watching the documentary, i had noticed that photography can change the way we look at something by using our ways of seeing. It changes the way we see with different emotions along with our perception. For example, when a person had taken a picture in front of his house then he took again after ten years in the same place but different time - the way we look at it might not be the same. Moreover, different people have different idea and emotions which lead to the idea that they might not see the same thing as well. Camera can help us remind of something and it helps us to remember the events that happened in the past.

Throughout the article, i've noticed that no matter the photographer would change to, but the camera is still helpful and useful for many people. In order to recall what have been in the past - people can still learning things through the pictured. The pictures will always give us the the way we see, the perceptions, and the view to express the story and pass to another generations.

Ajana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

the genius of photography

Post  Sutinee Prongmake on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:29 am

The genius of photography made me acknowledge the origin of photography, that the invention of the camera not only changed the world to become more modern but also the way that people look at and it is an art that has been developing every since.

An image taken from a camera represents the deep meaning in itself. It is not just only as it is seen, each picture tells a story with each frame from time to time

As Chuck Close said, “There are no accidental masterpieces in painting, but there are accidental masterpieces in photography.” That's because masterpieces in painting requires skill in order to make it perfect. On the other hand, there are accidental masterpieces in photography, it can be made by people who just came along and took a snap shot without even having any knowledge or experience in photography at all.

Sutinee Prongmake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A FEW COMMENTS

Post  Admin on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 am

"it can be made by people who just came along and took a snap shot without even having any knowledge or experience in photography at all."

If you make a claim like this in your post reference an image or historical precedent. Otherwise it's just your opinion and quite weak as an argument.

"Which means that a photo can be taken easily but hard to express the photographers vision which is also hard to be unique due to the conventionality of photography."

Why is photography conventional?

Nitiwath said:

it seems like photography are running backward, but in my point of view photography are meant to be made for a snapshot and capture all the memory we are passing in our life, and it is accomplishing it goal just like what Roberta Smith’s article “When the Camera Takes Over for the Eye” have said.

I think this shows you did not understand what I wrote in the e-mail or what Roberta is describing. Her point-of-view is critical of the fact people don't SEE anymore or experience things first-hand. It's saying why are people obsessed with proving they were present at a given moment in time --

I wanted someone to start to distinguish the vernacular's essential nature in photography i.e. the snapshot, which fed art photography's growth, and question what the vernacular is now. Snapshots of yourself being alive and standing in front of buildings that everyone else has stood in front of is... a snapshot... but does nothing to advance an aesthetic understanding or embrace of the medium.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://globalarthistory.forumth.com

Back to top Go down

Respond

Post  Nattakritta Lertpunyaroj on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:09 pm

I think photography really change how people live. “photography not only change the world but also the way people understood the world” After camera was invented, people could do art even they do not have skills to paint or draw. Taking photos could be done in few seconds while paintings take time. They could show or tell the story pass through the frame around the image instead. It’s the actual image while paintings could be distorted by an artist. “Photography is about the frame you put around the image what comes in what cut off and yet the story doesn’t end.” Same picture could have different meanings for different people in different time.

Photography is very important and useful for us. It makes us know our past. What has been changed or what stay the same. For example, from the video, they compare picture “Meudon” by Andre Kertesz in different time and they different from each other.

Nattakritta Lertpunyaroj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chakkraphob on Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:08 am

Cameras that we use in our time are much easier to use compared to cameras in the past. Because the technologies are much more advanced, settings can be easily changed to obtain the quality you prefer. In addition, cameras has also become more accessible as time passes by. For instance, George Eastman's invention of the Kodak film camera "made photography available for just about anybody who wants to try it". This opens up more opportunity and almost everyone can experience photography. However, photography as an art is still not an easy thing to master. As Chuck Close said, "There's no physicality to a photograph. There is nothing you can point to it and say this is the work of that artist, so how do you make a photograph that everybody immediately knows is a work of a particular artist?"
I absolutely agree with this. The invention of the Kodak film camera is the start of the development of modern day cameras, which in turns made it possible for everyone to take photographs. Even if this reduces the difficulty in taking photographs and also possibly as a form of art, the challenge of producing a unique style of photograph is still there.

Chakkraphob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Aanchal Mirchandani - Post #3

Post  Aanchal Mirchandani on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:38 am

After attending the lecture on the 'Birth of Photography', it made realize the importance of photography and how it has developed over these years. Being able to shoot images happening right in front of you, is something we do on a daily basis and it happens with one click thanks to our digital cameras. Yet, we do not know how hard it was for the photographers who used the cameras to take photos during the war periods such as in the American Civil War (1861-1865). Being able to capture moments like these in history allow today's generation to look back at the pictures and develop an understanding of history and its significance.

The other thing I found interesting in the lecture, was the fact that the cameraman who took these pictures during the wars would sometimes 'stage' the photographs. Staging the photographs would have an impact on the people that view these images so that it would create either a negative or positive perspective on the viewer. Staging a photograph could be termed as 'cheating' because it changes the real scenario but sometimes in my opinion staging a photograph is okay. Similarly, in the New York Times article Roberta Smith states 'SCIENTISTS have yet to determine what percentage of art-viewing these days is done through the viewfinder of a camera or a cellphone, but clearly the figure is on the rise.' Staging a photograph during the American Civil war could be compared to taking a photograph today from a digital camera of an artwork or any image. Because today while taking a photograph, personally I pick and choose where I would like to take a photograph or who should be in the photograph. It is somewhat the same concept as staging a photograph in the earlier days.

Smith, Roberta. "When the Camera Takes Over for the Eye ." New York Times. New York Times, September 5th 2011. Web. 11 Sep 2011. <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/05/arts/design/at-the-venice-biennale-art-is-a-photo-op.html?_r=2&ref=design>.

Aanchal Mirchandani

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitchanee S on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:08 pm

From "BBC Four"documentary, The Genius of Photography,is about Louis Daguerre and Henry Fox Talbot who take on step further of using camera obscura with chemical substances. Theses two people created two different kinds of image which are negative(calotype) and positive(daguerreotype). Calotype record by using the piece of paper coated with silver salt. Too bad, it can not reproduce. In the other hand, daguerreotype use the mirrored metal plate and chemical. The result is like Polaroid and "the people you looking at seems not exactly alive but on the edge of being present"(Lyle Rexer).
Peter Galassi says that "...but the photographic medium itself doesn't care what's importance and what's not..." I think that when we look into the images we can tell that what is the important point that photographers want to focus on even though there are many not-interested things.

Pitchanee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nutcha Somboonthanasarn on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:35 pm

According to the Genius of Photography, this documentary let me know how the photography was developed from the camera obscura to the present time camera and the technique that has been developing by the photographer trough times. As the camera was invented, it affects our life in many ways. “The camera is a way of connecting, participating and collecting fleeting experiences.” (Roberta Smith). Photographer can participate with their own works. They can put their emotion, attitude and what they want us to see into their works. They have to use lots of skills to crate some masterpiece. “There are no accidental masterpieces in painting, but there are accidental masterpieces in photography.”(Chuck Close). I’m not agree with the word ‘accidental’ I think it just more like a good shot and good luck on capturing the photograph in the right time with a great composition of the object . It’s not that easy like Kodak’s slogan “ You press the button, we do the rest.”

Nutcha Somboonthanasarn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Satakhun on Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:28 pm

After watching this documentary. It’s make me know about history of camera and photography.
How it change during the times including the camera it’s self and technique has been changed improved developed by photographer. Camera is one of the variable that change our world
“There are no masterpieces of photography”, said Chuck Close. I think that every photograph is the masterpieces of it’s self. because each photographer have thier intentions .The photo they had captured have something in it that interest them or they want to show or say to us about the story,moments, perspective of it so every photo are not the same . Even you capture it at the same place the photo can tell you different stories. Every photo can be a masterpieces or a trash for someone . it’s about how you look think and analyze that photo . , Like in the documentary “… it took a while for people to realize that photography creates surprises. It doesn’t describe the world as you expected.”

Sorry for late

Satakhun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

INDA Art History Response #3

Post  Thanyaporn Janma on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:45 pm

Camera and picture is one kind of art as it could say “The camera is a way of connecting, participating and collecting fleeting experiences”(Smith) which means it show the emotion and feeling of the photographer that can relates to the importance meaning. In the past people provided the manual camera that need light controlling which sometime give us burly picture which is bad quality but if people know how to use it clearly they will find that it is amazing because the result of the processing could change depends on time that light exposed. In addition, people always learn things from paintings but photo is one things that connect to painting. It help people know the change over time such as the quality of picture for each camera and period is not the same, so we get to know how the history of photography change “Photography not only change the world but also the way people understood the world”

Thanyaporn Janma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum